Due to poor diet, nutritional deficiencies, as well as stressful and unhealthy lifestyle, hair loss, like fatigue, is an extremely common complaint today. Fortunately, there is a very effective way to deal with the problem.
- Deficiency of nutrients (especially biotin, zinc, silica, sulphur, magnesium, omega-3, iodine, iron, selenium, & vitamin D),
- Excessive consumption of sugary foods, milk & dairy products, cheese, pizza, stimulants (coffee, tea, chocolate, cola, etc.), refined foods (white flour products, etc.).
- Chronic stress, anxiety, depression, & irritability
- Hormonal imbalance
- Excessive sexual practices
- Heavy metals
- Chemotherapy & some medications
- Skin diseases
- Sodium fluoride & chlorine exposure
- Autoimmune conditions (alopecia), etc.
KEY NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS & HERBS
- Good quality hair formula which includes Biotin, Zinc, Silica, L-methionine, L-cysteine, B Vitamins, etc.
- Even if your hair formula already contains some Biotin, take additional 5000mcg (ideally with 250-500mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid) with breakfast. Apart from zinc and vitamin B12, biotin is regarded as the most important vitamin to treat the hair loss. In one study which was published in 2009, biotin supplementation was even able to reverse hair loss as a side effect of using valproic acidin by epileptics patients! Biotin thickens hair, increases its elasticity and prevents dryness and breakage. It also helps make keratin, a primary component of healthy hair. Research reported that biotin deficiency leads to thinning of the hair, hair discolouration, hair loss and red rashes around the eyes, nose and mouth. A study conducted at Harvard University proved that biotin should be regarded as one of “the most important nutrients for preserving hair strength, texture and function, minimizing hair fall and averting grey hair”.
According to a 2009 study, biotin supplementation was even able to reverse hair loss as a side effect of using drug valproic acidin. Biotin is regarded by many as the most important among all vitamins to prevent hair loss and maintain normal hair thickness and colour. Our hair is made of protein called keratin which consists of amino acids that are formed as a result of the reaction of biotin and various cell enzymes. It means that biotin participates in the synthesis of the protein keratin by reacting with cell enzymes to produce amino acids. In addition, biotin also helps carry oxygen to the cells in the follicles, making them energised and healthy.
This is one of the reasons why biotin has been proven to be very beneficial in preventing hair from becoming brittle and dull. Numerous testimonial can be found online giving evidence that biotin supplementation is often very effective in strengthening hair:
Karen Bailey: “After years of dandruff and taking every possible remedy I started taking Biotin. I couldn’t believe it when I noticed that I no longer had dandruff, my hair was shiny strong and growing. My face was clearer my nails grew faster. I’m certain I’ve spent a lot if money on dermatologist and prescriptions. I am finally free of dandruff.”
Keycha Ramsey: “I have hyperthyroid and my hair was starting to fall out so I went and did some research for thyroid hair loss and I discover hair essentials and biotin I am taking both and it’s working wonders for me I was taking them for only 3 months and my nails are stronger.”
Lynda Maria Schrom: “I take Biotin every day and while it hasn’t made my hair thicker it certainly has stopped my hair from falling out and it really has made my hair grow super fast. I’m almost in my 70’s and my hair is very healthy and shiny. I have been taking Biotin for 2 years now.”
- B Vitamins are famous for benefiting hair, skin and nails, burning fat and sugars, increasing metabolism and energy levels. They also aid in healthy stress management and nurture the texture, thickness & colour of hair.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid), B12, Biotin, Folate, Zinc, and PABA (Para Aminobenzoic Acid), apart from strengthening the hair, help to prevent greying of the hair. Vitamin B5 seems to be the most beneficial supplement for those who suffer from skin problems such as acne.
- Amino acids L-Methionine and L-Cysteine are rich in sulphur which increases concentration of protein keratin – the key building block of hair, skin and nails. Without L-Cysteine, L-Methionine and keratin, the body could not make hair fibres.
- Zinc is a vital mineral for healthy hair, skin and nails. Experts maintain that zinc deficiency (very common today) can lead to deterioration of the protein structure of the hair follicle, weakening them and causing hair shedding and hair loss.
- Zinc, Vitamin B5 and B6 are absolutely crucial for synthesis and normal balance of female and male sex hormones as well as adrenal hormones, which could be one of the reasons why they are so beneficial for hair, skin and nails.
- Selenium, like Zinc, apart from being essential for the strong immune system, is also involved in maintaining smooth and elastic skin, strong and durable nails, and healthy hair. Selenium is needed for the proper functioning of thyroid involved in preventing hair loss. It has also anti-dandruff properties and helps remove fungus from the scalp.
- Iron is required for proper wound healing and helps improve hair texture by increasing the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the hair roots. A study reported that low iron levels increase the rate of hair fall. Get iron from natural sources such as chlorella, spirulina, wheat grass, etc.
- Magnesium, apart from relaxing muscles (including heart, uterus, stomach and colon) and supporting nervous system, is effective in reducing wrinkles. It also benefits allergic skin, helps combat breakouts or acne, and is needed to create strong hair follicles.
- Vitamin E contributes to hormonal balance and as an antioxidant it is very beneficial especially for the skin. It also promotes blood circulation and oxygenation, which in turn aids the body in producing new hair, skin and nails.
- Inositol helps lower circulating levels of androgen Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which triggers production of the protein DKK-1 known to cause death of papilla cells responsible for the nourishment of hair follicles. According to a study men who took inositol supplements reported reduction in hair falling out.
- Vitamin C helps produce collagen, the protein found in hair follicles and skin. Being an antioxidant it also protects the same cells from damaging effect of free radicals.
- Silica complex (Now foods) 500 mg 180 tablets (1 tablet contains: Horsetail extract 500mg, Silica (from Horsetail extract) 40mg, oat straw (Avena sativa) 100mg, Bentonite mineral powder 10 mg, zinc 5mg, Calcium 50mg, manganese 2mg, boron 1mg)
- Chlorella, Spirulina or other super greens such as Barley grass powder to detoxify the body. Use them alternatively.
- Vitamin B12 in the form of Methylcobalamin (must be sublingual): 2000mcg under the tongue only after breakfast. Also premature grey hair might be the result of vitamin B12 deficiency (very common today). Apart from B12 also biotin, PABA, folate, silica, and chlorella are very helpful in preventing premature grey hair.
- Vitamin D3: 5,000 IU a day. You must also take 2 x 150-200 mg of good Magnesium, such as citrate or bisglycinate chelate, as vitamin D without enough Magnesium in the body can’t be converted into its final usable form. In addition, supplemental vitamin D leads to Magnesium deficiency.
- If mood problems and stress are among the factors that contribute to hair loss then Ashwagandha, 5-HTP Tryptophan, Magnesium, B6, B complex and regular exercise should be helpful.
- If your hair is dry it can be caused by malnutrition (nutritional deficiencies), hot and dry air in your room, dehydration, Omega-3 deficiency, eczema, hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) or other factors including excessive washing and blow-drying, using detergents. In this case you need to drink more distilled (chlorine and fluoride free) or at least filtered water between meals, take good quality molecularly distilled Omega 3 supplements such as HealthAid Omega-3 750mg.
- Black seed oil
- Raw organic coconut oil
- Cold-pressed Castor oil
- Onion juice. According to the study from 2002, applied topically onion juice stimulates hair re-growth! Peel onion and chop it into small pieces. Extract the juice using a blender, grater or juicer. Mix about two tablespoons of fresh onion juice with two tablespoons of either cold-pressed castor oil or raw coconut oil. If you want this mixture to be even more effective in treating other problems such as dandruff you can also add a few drops of tea tree oil. Gently massage the mixture to your scalp and leave overnight. In the morning wash your hair with a good-quality shampoo or if you want to rinse it use only water with some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to get rid of the onion smell. This formula is praised by many as one of the best ways of improving hair growth.
NUTRITION & LIFESTYLE
- Avoid or at least significantly reduce consumption of refined foods (sugar white flour products, white pasta and rice, etc.), animal protein, meat products, milk and dairy products (especially cheese and pizza).
- Avoid stimulants including alcohol, coffee and caffeinated products.
- Exercise every day for 30 to 60 min.
- Take alternative hot and cold showers to improve blood circulation.
- Include cooked and/or raw onion and garlic in your diet as they are high in sulphur. Sulphur is one of the key building blocks of hair.
- Increase serotonin levels by exercise, sunlight, consuming organic Tofu, and complex carbohydrates instead of refined ones.
- Avoid excessive sexual practices.
Written by Slawomir (“Swavak”) Gromadzki, MPH
– Arslan M1, Vurucu S, Balamtekin N, et al (2009) The effects of biotin supplementation on serum and liver tissue biotinidase enzyme activity and alopecia in rats which were administrated to valproic acid. Brain Dev. 2009 Jun;31(6):405-10. doi: 10.1016.- Blume-Peytavi, U. at all. (2008) Hair Growth and Disorders. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg. 2008.- Goldberg, L.J. at all. (2010) Nutrition and hair. Clin Dermatol. 2010 Jul-Aug; 28(4):412-9.- Boelsma E, Hendriks HF, Roza L., (2001) Nutritional skin care: health effects of micronutrients and fatty acids. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 May; 73 (5): 853-64.- Brzezińska-Wcisło L., Evaluation of vitamin B6 and calcium pantothenate effectiveness on hair growth from clinical and trichographic aspects for treatment of diffuse alopecia in women. Wiad Lek. 2001; 54 (1-2): 11-8.- Colombo V.E., Gerber F., Bronhofer M., Floersheim GL., Treatment of brittle fingernails and onychoschizia with biotin: scanning electron microscopy. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990 Dec; 23 (6 Pt 1): 1127-32.- Heinrich U., Tronnier H., Stahl W., Béjot M., Maurette J.M., Antioxidant supplements improve parameters related to skin structure in humans. Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2006; 19 (4): 224-31.- Kim J.E., Yoo S.R., Jeong M.G., Ko J.Y., Ro Y.S., Hair Zinc Levels and the Efficacy of Oral Zinc Supplementation in Patients with Atopic Dermatitis. Acta Derm Venereol. 2014 Jan 28.- Lockwood D.S., Ding D.L., Wang J., Salvi RJ., D-Methionine attenuates inner hair cell loss in carboplatin-treated chinchillas. Audiol Neurootol. 2000 Sep- Oct; 5 (5): 263-6.- Morganti P, Fabrizi G, James B, Bruno C. Effect of gelatin-cystine and serenoa repens extract on free radicals level and hair growth. J Appl Cosmetol 1998; 16(3): 57–64.- Yang M, Moclair B, Hatcher V, Kaminetsky J, Mekas M, Chapas A, Capodice J., A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of a Novel Pantothenic Acid-Based Dietary Supplement in Subjects with Mild to Moderate Facial Acne. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2014 May 16.- J Dermatol. 2002 Jun;29(6):343-6. PMID: 12126069- Yakugaku Zasshi. 1993 Oct;113(10):718-24. PMID: 8254481- http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/causes_of_hair_loss.asp Any information or product suggested on this website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any medical condition. Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. Consult your primary healthcare physician before using any supplements or making any changes to your regime.